- G.M. Kane & Sons Pty Ltd was incorporated on 31 October 1962 by John Kane, who named the company after his parents George and Muriel.
- Starting with a single truck, John provided general freight services between Sydney and Camden with the business originally trading as Sydney-Camden Carriers.
- John soon decided to specialise in flooring products and began investing in the specialised equipment required to handle carpet and vinyl rolls.
- Responding to customer demand, the Company expanded its transport network to include the remainder of NSW and began trading as GMK Transport.
- With a total commitment to outstanding customer service the Company’s reputation began to grow, and was soon recognised as the market leader in the transportation of flooring products in NSW.
- In 2005 John appointed his daughter, Sharon Kane, to the role of Managing Director. Sharon had worked in the family company since leaving school and was becoming aware of the opportunity to serve the flooring industry nationally.
- On 25 March 2008, Sharon Kane rebranded the business GMK Logistics and took the company national. She opened facilities in all major capital cities, offering full 3PL services and a national transport network.
- GMK now operates in every state of Australia and has facilities in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Newcastle that are equipped to handle the warehousing and transport of roll and palletised product.
- On 10 June 2015, GMK Logistics was acquired by CTI Logistics Limited, a public listed logistics business based in Western Australia.
- On 4 January 2016 GMK Sydney moved into a new 16,000 sqm warehouse at Gregory Hills. This was our first purpose built facility.
Awards and Accreditations
- Transport Woman of the Year 2011: former CEO, Sharon Kane
- National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme
- Mass Management
- Maintenance Management
- BFM (Basic Fatigue Management)