Construction of New Sydney premises for GMK continues on schedule
GMK has operated from its current Sydney depot in Smeaton Grange, near Campbelltown in Sydney’s south west, since 2008. The facility has been a great base for GMK throughout that time. However, with the growth of our national operation over the last couple of years, and the prospect of securing a number of new 3PL customers it became a necessity to look for a larger facility.
Following an extensive search of potential sites the decision was taken to build a purpose built facility in nearby Gregory Hills. Whilst the new site will be approximately double the size of the current Sydney facility it will still be smaller than our Melbourne warehouse at Laverton North, which reflects that Melbourne continues to be home to many of Australia’s major flooring companies.
Construction of our new Sydney home is now well advanced and we are pleased to report that we are ahead of schedule and within the project’s overall budget.
The facility is due to be completed in December 2015 and boasts:
- A 16,000 sqm integrated transport and warehouse facility
- The capability to extend the warehouse by an additional 4,000 sqm
- Specialised racking for carpet rolls, vinyl rolls and palletised product
- Two laser cutting machines for carpets and potentially another for vinyl floor coverings, subject to customer demand
- A fully integrated security system with over 40 security cameras
- 16 transport docks, all equipped with dock levelers
- A single flow traffic management plan with two street frontages, each with a separate entry and exit point
- A weighbridge, fully operated from the dock office
- A significantly larger and more efficient office layout
- 92 car parks with a separate entrance and exit
This is a very exciting project and is GMK’s first ever purpose built facility. The recent gain of Cavalier Bremworth’s warehousing business has already confirmed the need for the new facility and, with other solid new business prospects, the depot is likely to be well utilised within its first year.